Why Harry and Meghan are leaving Kensington Palace

Why Harry and Meghan are leaving Kensington Palace

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, pictured arriving at the Royal Variety Performance in London, England on November 19, 2018, are moving from Kensington Palace in 2019.

Prince Harry and his pregnant wife Meghan Markle will move into a historic cottage on the royal family's Windsor Estate early next year, Kensington Palace said today.

The sprawling property has a nursery for the baby and ten bedrooms, compared to just two where they now reside at Nottingham Cottage. The statement confirming the move said "Windsor is a very special place for Their Royal Highnesses and they are grateful that their official residence will be on the estate".

However, the couple's office will continue to be based at Kensington Palace. Their official engagement photos were taken at Frogmore while the evening reception following their marriage at St. George's Chapel, Windsor in May this year was held at Frogmore House.

The cottage and house were called Frogmore because of the many frogs that resided in the marshy area near the River Thames.

The Windsor estate also happens to be home to the mausoleum that is the final resting place of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert, which has been undergoing restorations since June, as well as the burial grounds of King Edward VIII and Wallis Simpson - the first American divorcee to marry a British royal. The couple were widely expected to move to a larger property as their family grew and Apartment 1 at Kensington Palace had been talked about as a potential destination.

'KGB man' set to be next head of Interpol
Alexander Prokopchuk is the top contender to become president of global police agency Interpol. The new president will serve for the remaining two years of the term.

Frogmore is now uninhabited and is only used by the Royal family for private and public functions.

It became a royal residence about 100 years later and has become a hideaway for royal couples and families, the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh and their children.

However it's not ready for them to move in straight away, as it's now divided into five separate units for palace staff to reside.

"Harry and Meghan want to move, and need more space, but they don't want to live next door to William and Catherine", the Mail reported last week, citing a royal source.

However there are reports of tensions between the two brothers and so the Sussex family are striking out alone.

Related Articles